Thursday, March 13, 2014

(I Want You To) Hold My Hand

I love the band The Fray.  I think their musical genius of combining Christian values with secular story lines is not only what makes their association in popular radio stations a simple acceptance but also a refreshing nature against pop music that never acknowledges God or God's ways and Christian music that disavows God in anything that is secular, which is a common teaching of those on the far side of the evangelical bent (I'm talking about those who prescribe to the Left Behind series).  The Fray affirms that God can be in popular places.  I also believe, given St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner, that the Fray's music encapsulates part of the Irish bard's tradition of telling a story through music while also pointing out how God is everywhere and in everything--another value not convincingly supported by quite a few of the evangelical church (as supported by some on the extreme).  The Fray's music can also be compared to the psalms, which were originally songs about life.

That being said, the new song from The Fray is "Hold My Hand", a ballad (my own impression) which tells the story of a person fearful to move on with life, whether it be near death, going down a failed path that a parent has done, or some trepidation about a change of life.  Crying out to God (not directly referenced), the person is "on my knees" (a sign of worship), needs to be lifted up (a sign of the cross), and needs support "even if the sky is falling" (a reference to Daniel and Revelation in the Bible).  But more than all of this, the person needs almost a parent's guidance during this transition, as a parent would hold a child's hand crossing a busy street to get safely across.

So, become the psalmist crying out the Lenten season: how do you need God to hold your hand to get you past those life challenges you can't imagine facing alone?


3 comments:

  1. For a recorded version of this song, go to http://www.today.com/entertainment/fray-rock-out-hold-my-hand-2D12172843.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fray is a great band and an inspiration in many ways. First, because they are truly a grassroots band with musical origins in the church and worship music. They transitioned into secular music with great success (four Grammy nods). I still love "Over My Head (Cable Car)".

    Their appeal, I feel, is that their music resonates with a lot of people, with lyrics about emotion and the human condition. They don't mention God directly, as you note, but their foundation in faith can be heard in a lot of their songs. (Or do I just hear it because I filter everything through my own belief system?)

    To me, "Hold My Hand" is about reaching a point where we have to choose between pride and admitting we cannot go it alone. It's about realizing that our way will no longer work and we need God to lift us up and carry us. We would like to run from our problems (like we always do and like perhaps a parent did) because "escape is in our blood". Yet, we know, somewhere inside of us, that getting down on our knees and asking for help is the only real answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Guide me ever, great Redeemer, pilgrim through this barren land;
    I am weak, but you are mighty; hold me with your powerful hand."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting to this article. The purpose of this website is to keep dialogue going. Please check back frequently to see if anyone else has commented.